Monday, October 1, 2012

Stitch Free Curtains

Can you believe I made these curtains without having to do any sewing?  As crafty as I am, I never got into sewing.  I have been meaning to make curtains for this large window for some time now, but wasn't sure how to do it since it's so large.  Custom curtains would have cost hundreds of dollars and I was determined to make my own.


To make the white sheer curtains, I did the following:
  • bought sheer fabric at the craft store along with iron-on velcro squares. 
  • I cut the frabic in 1/2 to make two separate panels that were 1 yard wide. 
  • I needed to create a loop at the top of each panel to hang them which was done by ironing on the velcro squares
  • Once you create a loop at the top of each panel, slide the curtain rod through...EASY!


Next came making the brown striped decorative curtains that are drawn back.  These were made by adding striped fabric (the bottom section) to already made brown curtains (top part of curtains).  I bought the brown curtains at Target and the stripped fabric from a craft store.  I adheared the striped fabric to the curtains by using iron-on adhesive and then used safety pins in areas where extra support was needed. 




And that was it- I was able to make my own custom cutains for under $100!  It took about an hour to make them; probably the most difficult task was hanging the curtains which my hubby helped do since it required an extension ladder :)

1 comment:

  1. That is really amazing, Pretty. There's a lot of ways on how you can make a curtain without stitching it. Some use flannel fabric because it doesn't easily run. Anyway, the best fabric that I can suggest is brocade. It has an even thread pattern that made it easy to cut. What I usually do with it is that I remove all the excess thread and after that, I knot each corner so that it won't run.

    #Roxie@WindowTreatmentsPhiladelphia.com

    ReplyDelete